Sunscreens With Benzene and the FDA
Medical studies have proven that unprotected exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays can cause damage to the skin and immune system. It is also a leading cause of skin cancer. Most people rely on a skin protectant like sunscreen when they expect to be exposed to the hot sun. However, some recent studies have found traces of benzene in some brands of sunscreen.
What is Benzene?
Benzene is a colorless petroleum-based chemical that is used in the creation of synthetic rubber, plastics, pesticides, industrial dyes, detergents, and explosives. It is also found in gasoline, diesel fuel, and cigarette smoke. Benzene is a common ingredient in many industrial solvents, industrial glues, and industrial detergents. It is sometimes added to paints and lacquers. The EPA classified benzene as a known human carcinogen.
Health Effects of Exposure to Benzene
Benzene in significant amounts can cause considerable harm to the body’s blood. In addition to a reduced and damaged immune system, it can cause anemia and excessive bleeding. Women might experience irregular menstrual cycles or damaged fertility levels. The American Cancer Society warns that significant exposure to benzene could cause leukemia, lymphoma, or even death.
Breathing in high concentrations of Benzene may produce:
- Tightness in the chest
- Quickened heart rate
- Skin Bumps
Benzene Found in Sunscreen and After Sun Products
In May 2021, Valisure, an independent testing lab that does consumer watchdog testing for several medications, released a report that they found benzene in several sunscreens and after-sun care products.
Valisure has requested an FDA recall of these products. Many products have been recalled by the manufacturer.
- Banana Boat Kids Max Protect & Play Sunscreen Spray
- Banana Boat UltraMist Deep Tanning Dry Oil Continuous Clear Spray
- Banana Boat Ultra Sports Clear Sunscreen Spray
- CVS Health Aftersun Aloe Vera Spray
- CVS Health Aftersun Aloe Vera Gel
- EltaMD UV Aero Broad-Spectrum Full-Body Sunscreen Spray
- Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel
- Goodsense Sunscreen Lotion
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Weightless Sunscreen
- Neutrogena Beach Defense Oil-Free Sunscreen Spray
- Neutrogena Invisible Daily Defense Sunscreen Spray Broad Spectrum
- Neutrogena Beach Defense Spray Sunscreen
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Sunscreen Spray Broad Spectrum
- Neutrogena Beach Defense Oil-Free Body Sunscreen Spray
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen Lotion
- Neutrogena CoolDry Sport Sunscreen Spray
- Raw Elements Eco Sunscreen L
- Sun Bum Cool Gel
- SunBurnt After-Sun Gel
- TopCare Ultimate Sheer Sun Lotion
Holding responsible parties accountable for your injuries
Any individual or group can file a personal injury or class-action lawsuit seeking compensation for illness, medical injury, and damages. To proving liability would require evidence showing:
- The chemical was toxic or dangerous.
- The plaintiff was exposed to the toxic or dangerous chemical.
- The plaintiff suffered harm from the toxic or dangerous chemical.
If you or a relative has experienced benzene poisoning and been harmed, please contact Goldberg, Persky & White. Our attorneys can evaluate your situation, determine the legal implications, and advise how best to proceed.