Owens Corning Fiberglas (OCF)
In 1907 the Owens Bottle Machine Company began manufacturing glass products in Toledo, Ohio. In 1929 the company merged with the Illinois Glass Company to become the Owens-Illinois Glass Company, which produced cans and bottles through the ensuing decades.
In 1935 the company acquired Libbey Glass and soon afterward began experimenting with glass fiber products. In 1938 a merger with the competitor Corning Glass produced the Owens-Corning Fiberglass Company, which began enjoying a monopoly on the fiberglass products. Antitrust proceedings between 1949 and 1952 resulted in Owens-Corning becoming a public company rather than a private monopoly.
From 1948 to 1958 Owens-Illinois made asbestos pipe and boiler insulation under the Kaylo brand name. Owens-Illinois sold this product line to Owens-Corning in 1958. Owens-Corning manufactured and distributed asbestos-containing cement products from the 1940s to the 1950s and various Kaylo block and pipe insulations from the 1950s through the 1970s.
The Owens-Corning Corporation acquired Fibreboard in 1997 and assumed that company’s remaining asbestos liability and is addressing it through the trust.